The Old Man and the Sea Anticipation Guide
For each of the statements, choose a response from the scale below. Share your answers by discussing them with a partner.
-5 Disagree Strongly -3 Disagree Somewhat 0 No Opinion +3 Agree Somewhat +5 Agree Strongly
- _____ A person can be totally destroyed yet not defeated.
- _____ Human beings are superior in all ways to animals.
- _____ Nature can be very cruel.
- _____ Nature gives a great deal to the human world.
- _____ Itís usually best not to have too much pride.
- _____ If you let people see the "real" you, people will take advantage of you.
- _____ When people get old, they are too weak to do most of the things that are important to them.
- _____ When a person is old, it is inevitable that he or she will be lonely.
- _____ Young people rarely have much sympathy or concern for senior citizens.
- _____ Itís important to always fight a good fight, even if you lose.